Sergey Filatov creates sound sculptures, discovering new principles of sound production and experimenting with the sound direction in space. His works combine engineering and robotization on the one hand, and on the other hand – the desire to reveal philosophical ideas, meditativeness or sensuality .
The artist designs forms with new technological functionality and metaphysical properties, transforming the components of specialized equipment, reincarnating their sound potecial in the purpose of the element of the work of art:
- the ship's gyrocompass reincarnated in the body of the sound sculpture "Interpreter" and "RandomTala"
- radiators of cooling systems stay sound sources in the "Platosonus"
- quartz disks from telescopes reveal their acoustic properties in the sculpture "Parallel touch"
As on an important artistic goal the author sees on the disclosure the acoustic properties of materials: glass and quartz, brass, aluminum, seeds of plant cultures, etc.
From time to time Sergey Filatov created sound sculptures for certain urban spaces, places in the natural environment or within large industrial machinery:
- the sound sculpture "SeedShaker" created to accommodate a 6-metre arch of apartment house (Saint Petersburg, 2018)
- "ElectroLire" was created as a source of multichannel soundscape inside a large hyperbaric chamber to check the wires (Saint Petersburg, 2017)
- considering the unusual acoustics of the gigantic cylinder of the refrigerating chamber for grapes, it was built inside a sound ensemble of the sound generators named "Cold treatment"; the ceiling height was 6 meters, diameter was 5 meters (Myskhako, 2013)
In some cases construction of sound sculptures transfigure into creating the sound architecture: large-scale art project SonoContour
In Sergey Filatov's artworks there is an integral approach, including the principles of site specificity, science art, recycle art, sound art and experimental music.